Skip to main content

Learning New Things

Today I started on a journey.. Learning new things! I have a habit of not wanting to do things because I am scared because I really have no idea how to do so.  So with that said I have gone on many journey's lately but for right now this is the only one I can talk about.

So I started a quilt well over 20 years ago.  One of my most precious friends showed me how to use a sewing machine while I lived in New York and over the last 20 years I have done a few things but have not really taken up sewing until that last few months. 

Finished Quilt that took 20 years to finish

Last Mothers Day my family cleared out a room in my home and gave it to me so I can actually use it instead of stowing all my stuff under the stairs like Harry Potter.  So I set my room up and it stayed that way for a long time.  Things got put into it and stored and then it became a mess and then right before the New Year I finished a Crocheted Flag I did for a friend of mine as a gift for Christmas (mind you this project took me almost 4 years at least to finally finish). This set myself in motion for the year of 2014 to be the year I complete all projects I have started.  Its April and I have now completed at least 4 of them.

So even though I did get this far it took forever to work up the courage to finish so here is the details. So I have tons of scraps hanging around. I did not have any of the fabric left from this quilt 20 years ago, so with scraps that I had hanging around I started working on the binding. How do you do binding I asked myself? Well I have no clue, so what did I do I googled... :D All I wanted to know in the beginning was how wide most bindings are? Good Question to ask right. Man I found many different sizes ranging from 2" to 3" BUT I did find that most are about 2 1/4" so that is what I went with. Since this quilt did not come with instructions I really didn't know what would work. So I spent most of the day ironing and cutting many different pieces to 2 1/4". Today I started sewing all those pieces together and then I started right in :D as usual I just go for it and never think I am doing it wrong. Here is what I have now for your amusement.

.

sewing right along
 
 
Then I thought to myself I might want to really check this out and figure out if I am doing this right?  Good question to ask huh?  Well so I looked into this again guess how?  You Guessed it I googled it and came up with this amazing video which was really and easy way to explain how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZR6ls_IsIo
 
So after I realized the whole time that I was indeed doing it wrong I became friends with my trusty handy dandy seam ripper Jill.  Yes I name most of the items I become well acquainted with.

Here is Jill!! She is my love because she saves me all the time.



So once I finally fixed my original problem and then I was well on my way to making serious progress.

 
After finally getting it done correctly this is what it looks like when you finally iron it all.  The I sewed and continued to sew.  I didn't show you what she does in the video (wished I did) but please follow her directions she is right on the money.  My corners turned out amazing and I am excited to say I am not scared anymore of doing binding :D.  Here are some more photos of the finished product.  I hope you enjoy and please leave comments I enjoy hearing others input. 

The Finished Project :D so happy with it.

This is what it looks like when you have to do the finishing touches to the end.  Remember Jill yea she helped me here too :D
Here is the corner work.


Here is more of the binding.  Looks amazing
 
 
 
 Stay tuned for some more amazing work and updates.  I have made several quilts but they are for friends and I don't want them to see it first before they get them.
Have a great night.


Comments

  1. I think it is beautiful and priceless! Keep up the great work buddy! SO happy to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something Old Something New

I am not talking about weddings :D But today is one of those days when I have laughed, I have cried, and I have had many hours of myself which could be good and bad for all those involved in my life. I love to sew and I have been working on a quilt I have wanted to do for so long.  The Pattern is called Autumn Ablaze from Quilting Celebrations www.quiltingcelebrations.com .  Its from the Fall 2012 magazine, this will also tell you how long I have been wanting to do this.  See you all should believe me when I tell you this is a year all about me. So that gives you an Idea of what I have been doing this past week, plus many others more.  I have about 10 projects that I am always working on, I do tend to get bored with just one so when I see something I just jump right in and sew my little heart out.  Maybe one of these days I will actually finish a project without putting it aside for something else... Nah that is to predictable..   I was t...

New Adventures of 2015

So as everyone would know the beginning of the year is all about starting new or over.  I believe it is great to get a fresh start on so many things.  So as my friend Jeanette us to do when I worked with her is she had a board or what she called it things she wanted to achieve or try to do during the year.  So I didn't get as fancy as she did but I did the exact same thing.  I started my own board, I didn't put photos yet (but I will because I love visual) but I wanted to make sure I could see what I expected out of 2015 and so it didn't go away its always in my craft room staring me in the face.  So now when I am down or things are not going my way I can add words or rethink why I'm not getting what I wanted to achieve.  Some of the things I wrote on this board was me.  I want to think about myself this year, I am a mother of four wonderful daughters, but I pour myself into them and then I find I am left with a wasted self and nothing to show for all ...